Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let Go

Tomorrow my parents are ending a chapter in their lives.  They are moving out of a house that they have lived in for a long time.  We found out this would be easy on no one.  Although benefits of the new place were in their future the past seemed to have a hold.


Earlier this year my paternal grandfather passed away.  Before he died we needed to clean out his house and divide the items among his children.  He could no longer live there.  You would think this was an easy task but it is not.  Now my parents were doing the same thing with their house.   How do you let go of all the things attached to a house that you lived in for so long?  How do you let go of things you just acquired that are part of your past?  We cling to material possessions because we are clinging to our loved ones to a life once lived.


 The truth is that it is OK to hold on to some things that will make you smile when you see it or conjure up a special memory of time you had with them.  A small item can still bring special memories into your thoughts during the day.  Maybe a piece of furniture is special to you.  What is your fondest memory and what item brings that back for you?  That is the question you must ask yourself.

For me it was easy.  My grandfather was a lifelong Boy Scout.  My son is a Boy Scout and my daughter a Girl Scout.  My grandfather supported both organizations over the years.  His items that were part of his Boy Scouting days, pictures, rank advancements, his eagle scout medal were now my prize possessions too.

 


The house my grandfather lived in was sold on Monday of this week.  My parents are leaving the house that I shared with them tomorrow.  I left a house my children loved just a month ago.  All had four walls. Sturdy.  All were full of memories.  I have been scared to say good-bye to all of them at one point or another but you have to say good-bye.  It's life.


My devotions this morning talked about this very thing.  It was about being fearful about the economy, money, change, etc.  It is true that we all become fearful over something.  What we need to remember is that God is our refuge and strength a Very Present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1)

So as this week progresses, I plan to spend time with God.  I have a lesson to learn.   You know the one.  Let go and Let God.







Photobucket

No comments: